Text-Neck also known as Forward Head Posture (FHP)or a Granny Hump is a correctable condition that can be the result of trauma (intense and fast stress on the neck) or long term cumulative stress. The increased use of hand-held digital devices is affecting children at an alarming rate.
“For every inch of forward head posture, it can increase the weight ofthe head on the spine by an additional 10 pounds.” Kapandji, Physiology of Joints, Vol 3.
“Forward head posture leads to long term muscle strain, disc herniations, arthritis and pinched nerves.” The Mayo Clinic, Nov. 3rd, 2000
Treatment and Prevention:
- Forward Head Posture (FHP) is a very common occurrence in the U.S. adult population, look for the number of people with a "Granny Hump" next time you go out.
- Increased use of hand-held digital devices FHP (also known as "text-neck") affecting children at an alarming rate.
- General public awareness of 'text-neck' epidemic and solutions.
- FHP as a major contributing factor in the most common conditions treated in clinical practice today. Headaches, migraines, neck pain, upper back pain, TMJ disorders, thoracic outlet syndrome, shoulder pain/dysfunction, carpal tunnel syndrome, and more are all caused by the Granny Hump, FHP, or text-neck, however you chose to label it.
- True structural correction and subsequent long-term relief can only be achieved through the addition of extension traction therapy.
- Extension traction therapy changes to soft tissues in a controlled fashion in order to allow the spine to regain its normal structural curve.
- By adding cervical extension traction therapy to any existing treatment protocol can significantly improve long-term outcomes in patients with the following symptoms related to FHP and reduced cervical lordosis: Headaches, migraines, neck pain, upper back pain, TMJ disorders, thoracic outlet syndrome, shoulder pain/dysfunction, carpal tunnel syndrome, and more.